I’ve been reading “The Everything Tween Book” and I came to a section about spending time with your tween. I thought, well, she acts like any time I try to spend with her is just awful. But the book says that they do want more time with mom but that they can’t express that because #1: they suck at communication and #2: that is so uncool!
So I decided to set aside time each night for this. Our routine has been that at 8:00pm Willow went to bed to either read or watch tv (ok, she chooses tv every time). Then at 8:30pm its all electronics off and reading until 9:00pm which is lights out. I usually spend that time watching tv or reading myself. So, tonight I’m going to implement “Mommy and Tween Time” from 8:00pm to 8:30pm. I have to remember that her groan doesn’t mean that she doesn’t really want to spend time with me, but that she is just trying to be cool.
So, I made a list of things that we could do together in that half hour of time every day:
- Play Rummy
- Walk the dogs (this will have to wait until the sun starts to be out longer)
- Knitting (Santa brought us a how to knit book for Xmas)
- Sewing (though I would need to find the box that my sewing machine and stuff are in so that might wait too)
- Writing stories
- Baking dog treats (found some recipes on Pinterest!)
- Teaching the dogs tricks
- Make a t-shirt quilt out of all the t-shirts she has grown out of (this may be just collecting the t-shirts now and cutting them up until we move and I have my sewing machine out again)
- Doing all the crafts that I have found on Pinterest.
Do you have set aside time each day to spend with your tween or teen? What do you do?